Quinoa-Red rice pudding with Carnarvon banana ice cream
Title: Quinoa-Red rice pudding with Carnarvon banana ice cream
Broadcast: June 18 2017
Presenter: Scott Taylor
Ingredients for 6:
1 cup milk (can be substituted for coconut or almond milk)
½ cup cream (can be substituted for coconut cream or almond milk)
1 ripe banana, mashed
1 star anise
2 tablespoons honey
1 cinnamon stick
1 vanilla pod, split lengthways
Pinch of salt
1 cup cooked red rice
1 ½ cups cooked quinoa
Freshly sliced banana plus 4 ripe bananas for the ice cream.
Roasted pepitas, linseeds, poppy seeds and raw almonds
Fresh berries and fruit, pineapple or strawberries are good
To make the banana ice cream
- Peel slice and freeze the bananas in resealable bags.
- Place the banana pieces into the bowl of a food processor, and blitz for two to three minutes until smooth creamy consistency. Reserve in freezer.
For the pudding
- Place the milk, cream, banana, star anise, cinnamon stick and salt into a saucepan and bring to a simmer.
- Drop in the quinoa and rice, and cook slowly while stirring, the mixture will begin to thicken like a porridge.
- Add the honey to taste, once the consistency is good remove from heat and spoon into bowls.
- Garnish with banana slices, the roasted nuts, fresh berries and fruits and yoghurt. Scoop a dob of banana ice cream on top and serve.