Pulled Pork Tacos with Apple-Herb Vinegar slaw
Title: Pulled Pork Tacos with Apple-Herb Vinegar slaw
Broadcast: June 18 2017
Presenter: Scott Taylor
Ingredients for 6 people:
1.5 kg piece of Linley Valley pork Collar butt (or 2kg if bone-in)
2 teaspoons fennel seeds
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon black peppercorns
1 teaspoon coriander seeds
150 grams brown sugar
10 grams garlic powder
100 grams salt
15 grams smoked paprika
30 grams paprika
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Make the rub
- Roast the fennel, cumin, peppercorns and coriander seeds in a frypan until fragrant.
- Crush in a mortar and pestle, or blitz in a food processor to a powder, allow to cool.
- Mix together with other ingredients and reserve in sealed container.
To cook the pork:
- Preheat oven to 150C
- Place the pork on a rack over a large roasting pan
- Rub the pork all over with about 150 grams of the spice mix
- Pour a cup of water into he base of the roasting pan, and wrap the pan and pork with foil in a tight seal
- Place into oven and cook for 4 hours.
- Check the pork - remove from oven, take off the foil and test by pressing tongs into the flesh, if it is cooked it will fall apart. If it isn’t yet tender, cover with foil and return to oven
- If the pork is cooked increase oven temperature to 180C, return pork to the oven without foil covering, and cook a further 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and keep warm, rest for 20 minutes.
- Remove any bone and pull the meat apart, placing the meat in big chunks and strands into a bowl.
- Add some of the remaining rub to season the mix, and keep warm for your pulled pork taco.
Apple-Herb Vinegar slaw
50ml Organic apple cider vinegar
50 ml white wine vinegar
40 ml extra virgin olive oil
35 gram castor sugar
Juice of 1 lemon
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon fennel seeds, toasted and crushed
¼ white cabbage, finely shaved
¼ red cabbage finely shaved
1 apple, julienned (cut into matchstick sized pieces)
1 red onion, finely sliced
1 handful each of mint, coriander, rocket and parsley washed
- Dressing, whisk together ingredients until combined, reserve.
- Place the salad slaw ingredients together in a large bowl, if the herbs are large you can run a knife through them.
- Toss the slaw and dressing together about half an hour you wish to serve.
Easy Barbecue Sauce:
400 ml tomato sauce
25 ml (1 tablsepoon) Worcestershire sauce
10 ml (2 teaspoons) tabasco sauce
100 grams dark muscovado sugar
100 grams cider vinegar
60 ml bourbon (replace this with the juiced of 1 orange if you don’t have the booze)
100 ml pulled pork cooking liquor
1 clove garlic, crushed
- Combine all ingredients together in a saucepan, cook over medium heat until sugar has dissolved consistency is glossy. This will keep in the fridge for weeks.