Quinoa, broad bean and avocado salad
Title: Quinoa, broad bean and avocado salad
Broadcast: Episode 12, 23rd September 2018
Presenter: Marg Johnson & Theo Kalogeracos
Quinoa is considered by many to be a super food and these small South American seeds are very high in protein and are freely available in the supermarket, though the darker ones take a little longer to cook.
Serves - 4
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups broad beans – fresh or frozen
- 2 lemons
- 1 ripe but firm avocado
- 1/3 cup spring onions, chopped
- 6 radishes, cut into six or eight, depending on size
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp chilli flakes
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Simmer the quinoa in salted water for about 9-12 minutes, depending on colour.
- Drain well and place in a bowl.
- Simmer the broad beans until tender, drain and if liked pop the bright green insides from their grey skins. Add to bowl containing the Quinoa.
- Then cut the ends from the lemons and remove the skin and pith following the shape of the lemons. Cut between the membranes towards the centre removing clean segments of lemons and add these to the bowl.
- Squeeze out any juice from the frame.
- Halve and cut the avocado and add to the bowl along with the rest of the ingredients and toss together lightly.
With thanks to,