Title: Gabriel Chocolate
Broadcast: Episode 12, 23rd September 2018
Presenter: Theo Kalogeracos
The award-winning Gabriel Chocolate goes behind the scenes on just how they make their absolutely incredible single bean chocolate.
- Chocolate starts with the simple cocoa bean. These beans are roasted, ground into a paste, and refined into very small particles – giving you a delicious, smooth chocolate.
- Different types of beans will be roasted and different temperatures, and the process of bean to bar can be anything longer than 24 hours and depending on the bean and taste, the liquor mix as it is called may be rested for some time before being made into Chocolate as we know it.
- The creation of chocolate is a mixture of science and art, with each chocolate maker having their own signature style. The art of Chocolate making is known as Alchemy.
- All beans have different characteristics, so make sure you’re tasting your chocolate, not eating it! The best way to do this is to take a piece of chocolate, give it a quick chew and then let it melt in your mouth.
- Gabriel Chocolate has won awards 2018 in the ‘Bean to Bar’ category of the Perth Royal Food awards in both 2017 and 2018 thanks to the Royal Agricultural Society of WA, a non-for-profit organisation that drives the Perth Royal Food Awards, helping us all identify the best in the west.
With thanks to,