Banff Gondola and Sky Bistro
Segment: Banff Gondola and Sky Bistro
Episode: Banff / Lake Louise
Air Date: 28th December 2019
Presenter: Scott Taylor
The Rocky Mountains of Banff have to be one of the most stunning locations on the planet, and there is a restaurant that offers unbeatable views of the area alongside some of the best food you could hope to find.
- Perched at roughly 7500 feet above sea level, Sky Bistro sits atop the grand Sulphur Mountain. It pairs the grandeur of the Rocky Mountains with a distinctly Canadian menu, featuring the unique flavours of the country through a handpicked selection of regionally sourced meats, produce and ingredients.
- Getting up the mountain is all part of the experience. You’re able to sit back, relax and enjoy the gondola ride to the summit. The views over Banff, the Bow Valley and Rocky Mountain ranges are truly breath taking.
- Sky Bistro opened in 2016, and offers visitors an unforgettable dining experience. Executive Chef Scott Hergott is dedicated to sourcing his ingredients from local, sustainable sources.
- In his 2 years as Executive Cheff, Scott has made Sky Bistro the number 1 restaurant in Banff.
- Sky Bistro employs a Farm to Summit menu. They form relationships with local farmers, travelling to farms to meet them and learn what they’re all about.
- The Bison Tartar is delicious – bison meat is diced up, capers are added for a bit of a kick and a pickled egg yolk is drizzled on top to add some sweetness. It’s finished off with crispy potato skins to replace bread.
- When the animals are raised, fed and processed in a humane, zero-stress environment, the finished product is more supple and delicious. Ethical food sourcing is becoming more important to many restaurants – getting ingredients from right on their doorstep decreases food miles and increases freshness.
- The food here is exceptional, with a tight team of professional chefs whipping up some of Canada’s best cuisine.