Fremantle Octopus, Potato Chips, Lime Mayo and Shichimi
Title: Fremantle Octopus, Potato Chips, Lime Mayo and Shichimi
Broadcast: July 23rd 2017
Presenter: Russell Blaikie & Scott Taylor
Ingredients for a share starter for 4 people:
- 600 grams raw Fremantle octopus
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons Japanese Sencha green tea Leaves
- 1 medium-large royal blue potato, washed
- Vegetable oil
- Sea salt
- 100 grams Japanese Mayonnaise
- 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon cornflour
- Fresh micro-herbs
- Japanese Shichimi seasoning (available from Asian grocers, often labelled Shichimi Togarashi)
- Bring a saucepan of water, approximately 3 litres, to the boil, add the tea and salt and simmer 2 minutes.
- Drop in the octopus, increase heat and bring back to the boil, this should take about 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to slow simmer and cook for another 35 minutes.
- Place lid on pan, turn off heat and allow to cool to room temperature in saucepan.
- Remove from saucepan, drain and pat dry. Slice into bite sized portions and reserve in fridge.
- Slice the potato cross-ways into approx. 2mm thick slices.
- Wash, then place in between sheets of kitchen paper to drain and dry.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan or wok to approx. 180C.
- Carefully drop in slices of potato and cook to golden brown.
- Remove sprinkle with a little salt and place on kitchen paper to drain. Reserve.
- Zest and juice the lime and whisk throught he mayonnaise, refrigerate.
- Whisk ingredients together and microwave on high for 30 seconds until the mix comes to the boil.
- Remove and cool in refrigerator
To Put it together:
- Light your barbecue or ribbed barbecue pan. Lightly oil octopus and grill for 30-40 seconds on both sides so the barbecue imparts flavour and colour. Keep warm.
- Place dobs of the lime mayonnaise onto serving platter, then top with a potato chip on each dob.
- Add another dob of mayonnaise on the chip, top each chip with one piece of octopus.
- Drizzle the plate with the soy drizzle, sprinkle with furikake and garnish with herbs.