Happs – The History
Title: Happs – The History
Broadcast: Episode 1, 1st July 18
Presenters: Scott Taylor
Scott is in the stunning Margaret River region which with its Mediterranean climate has the perfect environment to produce some of the finest wines on the planet. Erl and Ros Happ started growing grapes in the area in the 1970’s for exactly this reason and have grown Happs into the stunning products and destination we see today.
- A fruit salad of grape varieties is grown between the warm climate of their Dunsborough location and their cooler climate Vineyard at Karridale about 100km south.
- Erls philosophy is that if you don’t plant it, you won’t know how it will perform. It could be a variety from Sardinia or France, you just don’t know unless you try.
- The up and over trellis system stems from Erls passion for quality grapes and wine and allows for the shoots to be spread out to make the most of the solar array, creating more sugars and allows the vine to dry out after rain, which is beneficial in controlling disease.
- With up to 40 pickers, the trellis system also allows more room for the bunches of grapes and an ease of picking as the shoots are more spread out.
- When you get intact grapes into the winery it makes it a lot easier to make wine without preservatives and for many people they cannot consume these preservatives as it effects their health negatively, so Erl likes to address it from the beginning.
- The bottom line for Erl and his wines is the more natural it can be the better.
- In 1971 Erl and Ros both started making pottery and at their Dunsborough location you can both see and purchase some beautiful pieces of pottery in their Gallery or pick up some local produce with their gourmet hampers on offer and sit in the spectacular gardens there and enjoy your day.
- There are 38 wines to choose from over three ranges, so you can guarantee there is something for everyone.
575 Commonage Road,
Quindalup WA 6281
Ph: 08 9755 3300