Theo’s Homemade Mozzarella
Title: Theo’s Homemade Mozzarella
Broadcast: Episode 1, 1st July 18
Presenters: Theo Kalogeracos & Nikki Heyder
When making a good homemade Mozzarella it is important to use a full cream milk to get the best product. Today we used milk from local West Australian Dairy Grumpy Farmer. Their milk comes from a single herd of Guernsey cows which are naturally high in the A2 protein.
Serves – Makes 1kg of Mozzarella cheese.
- 4 litres of full cream milk
- 2ml of Calcium Chloride
- 2tsp Citric acid, dissolved in ¼ cup of water
- 1 tablet of Rennet, dissolved in ¼ cup of water
- Place milk in a pot with a thick base
- Turn to a medium heat and add Calcium Chloride & citric acid and heat milk to 32 Degrees, stirring occasionally when it reaches 32.
- At 32 degrees, take the pot off the heat and add Rennet. Stir, cover and let sit for 30 minutes.
- Wait 30 minutes.
- Once 30 minutes is up, using a long knife cut curds gently into 3cm x 3cm Squares
- Place pot back on a medium heat and heat up to 42 degrees, stirring very gently.
- Remove from heat on reaching 42 Degrees.
- Strain curds in a fine colander, let it strain for 5-10minutes until all the liquid is gone (you can keep the whey to make ricotta)
- Get a pot of Hot water to 90 degrees and a bowl of salted cold water.
- Add the curds to a bowl.
- Slowly add 2-3 cups of hot water and using a spoon mix till it comes together.
- Start stretching it out of the water for 5 minutes and keep adding a cup of hot water ifif needed– you have to keep it HOT so it stretches
- Grab the smooth cheese, rip off a ball, tuck the end in and put in salted water for 5 minutes.
- START EATING!
Recommendation for serving:
A simple Mozzarella salad
- Cherry Tomatoes cut in half
- Fresh ripped basil leaves
- Your fresh mozzarella ripped into pieces
- Salt and pepper and a drizzle of good quality Olives Oil.
Crusty bread is a must for me with this salad!