The Ultimate Health Snack- Sardines on Toast with Salsa Verde
Title: The Ultimate Health Snack- Sardines on Toast with Salsa Verde
Broadcast: Episode 1, 1st July 18
Presenters: Theo Kalogeracos & Marg Johnson
Sardines are loaded with vitamins and minerals and are one of the highest sources of essential Omega 3 Fatty acids. On the occasion that fresh are not available, you can source excellent frozen fillets for this dish from your local fish monger. The Salsa Verde cuts through the richness and makes a great quick meal and so delicious dish.
Serves – 4 as a light meal
- 12-16 sardine fillets
- olive oil
- 4 slices best quality bread
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 big garlic clove, peeled
- 4 lemon wedges
- 1 cup flat leaf parsley leaves
- ½ cup basil leaves
- 4 anchovy fillets
- 1 tbsp garlic- roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp capers
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup best olive oil
- freshly ground black pepper
- Place all of the Salsa Verde ingredients into the bowl of a food processor and blitz together until they are chopped, but still retain some texture. Alternatively, roughly chop them on a board and add to a bowl.
- Lay the fillets out on a baking sheet, skin side down. Lightly brush the fillets with olive oil and season them well.
- Toast or grill the pieces of bread then rub each with the garlic clove.
- Drizzle the toast with a little olive oil and season it well.
- Place the baking tray under a hot grill and grill the sardines just on the one side until they change colour.
- Arrange on the toast and serve with a dollop of Salsa Verde and a lemon wedge.