Roasted Curry of Goat
Title: Roasted Curry of Goat
Broadcast: Episode 8, 26th August, 2018
Presenter: Marg Johnson & Theo Kalogeracos
This wonderful dish utilises the wonderful lean meat of the goat with wonderful spicing and is a classic of the Caribbean. It is traditionally served with rice and peas (steamed rice cooked with cooked black beans), mango chutney and a simple tomato and red onion salsa to freshen it all up. For best results, prepare this recipe a day ahead.
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 tbsp black peppercorns
- 1 tbsp fenugreek seeds
- 12 cardamom pods
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tbsp ground dried ginger
- 1 tbsp ground dried turmeric
- 1, 2kg goat leg, flesh removed and cut into 3cm pieces
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander stems
- 2 tsp salt
- Lightly toast the whole spices in a dry pan over a moderate heat until they are aromatic-about 2 minutes. Then place them in a spice grinder and grind them to a powder.
- Add the ginger and turmeric and mix through.
- Place the diced meat into a bowl and add ½ cup of the spice mix, reserving the rest for another time.
- Mix around well and leave to do its magic overnight.
- Heat the oil over a high heat in a medium pot.
- Add the meat and toss around until lightly coloured.
- To the same pot add the onions, tomatoes, thyme, coriander, sauce and salt.
- Add enough water to barely cover and bring to the boil.
- Drop the heat to a very gentle simmer and cook for about two hours or until tender.
Serve with rice and peas, mango chutney and the salsa – Delicious!