Beef On the Barbie
Title: Beef On the Barbie
Broadcast: Episode 11, 16th September 2018
Presenter: Scott Taylor
Potato salad and steak have been a staple of the humble barbie for years, but today Scott Jazzes it up. A little added touch to the dish is to use some BBQ smoking woodchips to add a smokiness to the dish.. For best results soak the wood chips in some Guinness for at least 6 hours prior, giving an added boost of flavour.
- Whole beef fillet
- 250gm, wholegrain mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 large sweet potatoes peeled and diced into approximately 1.5cmx 1.5cm pieces
- 100gms pancetta lardons
- 3 Eggs
- 2 tablespoons whole egg mayonnaise
- 1 can of Guinness
- Small bag of wood chips.
- Make a marinade by combining the wholegrain mustard, Worcestershire Sauce and honey.
- Coat the beef fillet in the marinade and leave to marinate while making the potato salad.
- Coat the sweet potato cubes in olive oil and pour onto a preheated BBQ hot plate.
- Once the sweet potatoes are cooking, place the eye fillet onto the BBQ (reserve the marinade for later)
- Make a well in the middle of the sweet potato and add the pancetta. This allows the beautiful oils of the pancetta to be released and picked up by the sweet potato.
- Remember to turn the beef fillet.
- For an added flavour, add your Guinness soaked woodchips and cover with a pan or lid.
- Turn your beef fillet.
- After at least 10 minutes or until you can see the sweet potato is cooked, remove the lid covering the potatoes and remove the woodchips.
- Push the potatoes together and add two cracked eggs, combine briefly and take off the heat when the egg is just slightly cooked through and put into a bowl.
- Add the mayonnaise, some of the reserved marinade and some chopped spring onions and combine.
- Remove your fillet from the BBQ once it is cooked as per your liking and allow it to rest for at least 5-10 minutes, so it retains its juices before being sliced.
- Slice the fillet as per your liking (usually cut to approximately 1 inch thick) and serve with a generous portion of the potato salad.
You have to love a good BBQ dish! And who doesn’t love a great piece of tender beef.
With thanks to,