Treetops Estate & Lodge
Segment: Treetops Estate & Lodge
Episode: Ep 1: Rotorua
Air Date: 23th February 2020
Presenter: Trevor Cochrane
A short 25-minute drive from Rotorua, the Treetops Estate & Lodge is known for its immersive food experiences.
- Set upon a 2,500-acre estate of rolling hills and native bush, this wilderness retreat sources the majority of its food from the grounds, with the Estate to Plate Safari being one of their signature experiences.
- This immersive experience allows guests to tour the estate either in a four-wheel drive or on horseback, giving them the chance to see the source of their food, visit the organic gardens and fruit orchard, and to look for the multitude of game, fish and fowl out in the wild on the estate.
- The idea behind the Lodge was to offer a place for guests to relax and unwind.
- Hunting on Horseback is one of the more popular experiences – guests are taken out, collect an animal and bring it back on the horse. It is then prepped, hung in the chiller and sent to a certified wild-game dealer.
- The Treetops Estate & Lodge pride themselves on leaving as little waste as possible, with even the bones of animals being used to make stock.
- It is a real paddock to plate experience here, with the Lodge growing its own pesticide-free organic vegetables, including native spinach, kumara, fresh turmeric, wasabi and native cress.
- Guests of the Lodge can dine in various locations, choosing either the romance and intimacy of the library or the formal restaurant – this is a relaxing but elegant environment, perfect for recharging your batteries.
- There are 5-course dinners offered each night, with guests being offered a choice of platters that showcase the various meats. There are cooked meats, cured meats – there is a great variety on offer.
- If you’re looking to visit the Treetops Estate & Lodge, the best times to do so are in spring and autumn, as the crowd numbers are lower.