Okere Falls Store
Segment: Okere Falls Store
Episode: Ep 1: Rotorua
Air Date: 23th February 2020
Presenter: Trevor Cochrane
Known for its incredible scenery, Rotorua is also home to an exciting emerging foodie scene.
- Located on the North Island of New Zealand, Rotorua is famous for its geothermal activity and thriving Maori culture.
- Kaituna River, on the shores of Lake Rotoiti, is a favourite spot for the local white water rafting and kayaking community.
- Okere Falls Store is a relaxed and quirky community focused eco-café, and is one of the best places to grab lunch in Rotorua.
- With a passion for healthy food that is both delicious and good for the land, the store offers a menu of casual dining options, with a wide range of plant-based options in particular.
- In 2002, owner Sara Uhl renovated an original petrol station shop, crafting a nostalgic country store with hints of the 1950s.
- The environment has always been key to the store – from the very beginning there has been a compostable toilet, as well as a worm farm and a food scraps compost.
- Food quality is hugely important, with herbs being grown on site.
- The Korean Chicken Burger, complete with house-made kimchi, is a particular highlight. A native leave, horopito, is used in the construction of the burger, adding a peppery flavour to the meal.