Airdate: 21st June 2020
Presenter: Trevor Cochrane
Story Title: Bananas
Bananas are able to grow quite well in Australia, but you have to make sure you’re properly taking care of your soils.
- Banana trees are the biggest herbs in the world, and are one of the few plants that travel – as the plant ages, it moves away from where the parent was growing.
- Bananas grown in cooler climates are actually better for you, even tasting sweeter. Bananas grown in the tropics are produced so quickly there is less nutrient density in the fruit.
- It’s not meant to be possible to grow bananas in Perth – they love rich, heavy loam soils, whereas Perth soils are quite sandy. To grow bananas in areas like this, you’ll need to use a plant superfood.
- The plants need a soil full of beneficial microbes and minerals. Troforte M Rejuven8tor utilises a special micro prill full of over 60 minerals that are boosted with microbes. They work together to deliver nutrients slowly and steadily.
- You need to make sure your bananas are getting enough water. They’ll grow happily using rain or grey water – remember to water your new plant in to activate the Troforte microbes, as once wet they spring to life and move through the soil.
- All you need to start is a sucker – within 5 years you could be harvesting hundreds of nutrient rich bananas.