Story: Summer Fruits
Presenter: Trevor Cochrane
Air Date: 13 February
- Summer is the perfect time for stone fruit like peaches, cherries, nectarines and apricots.
- Grapes are also amazing summer fruits and are easy to grow in WA. If your grapes have any diseases, they are best treated by using a copper and sulphur spray during the dormancy period.
- Don’t spray your fruit trees in summer as they may spoil the fruit and will have little effect.
- Have you ever heard of the Shahtoot White Mulberry? It’s an Indian varietal and a perfect summer fruit.
- The Shahtoot White Mulberry is a prolific fruiter and very sweet to taste. It’s also a waterwise tree, ideal for orchards.
- Plums are another great summer fruit to grow in your garden and after summer harvest, be sure to prune your tree to shape and size and you will ensure crops for the next summer.