Story: Egg Plants
Episode: Episode 6
Presenter: Trevor Cochrane
Air Date: 13th March 2022
- The eggplant first originated from China.
- The Indians embraced the eggplant and traded it across the globe into America, Europe and Spain in the 1500s.
- Not until the 1850s did it become stable in Europe and America.
- The eggplant was then widespread through Asia.
- Eggplants are not related to chickens before contrary belief.
- The eggplant family is one of the largest and most diverse vegetable plant families.
- The size and shape of the fruit vary, but all eggplants were originally topicals.
- Growing Eggplants:
- Pots that work to get the best results are from semi-mature plants from swan valley nursery, ideal for pots or growing in the ground.
- Friendly tip:
- To improve the soil, add organics, composts and manure.