Recipe Tip - Tortilla Dough
Story: Recipe Tip - David Genat
Episode: Episode 8
Presenter: Trevor Cochrane & David Genat
Air Date: 27th March 2022
- Masa Harina Flour.
- Mix masa flour with very warm water.
- To make 16 to 18 tortillas, start with putting 2 cups of masa flour in a large bowl.
- Add 1 1/2 to 2 cups of very warm water to the masa flour.
- Mix in and let stir for 5 minutes.
- Knead the dough.
- Begin working the masa with your hands to make the dough.
- Work the dough for several minutes.
- Press the dough with your fingers and the palms of your hands as if you were kneading bread dough.
- The dough will be a little gritty at first but should become more pliable as you knead it.
- If at any point through the tortilla making process the dough seems too dry or too wet, add a little more water or masa to the dough.
- Form balls of dough:
- Pinch off a piece of the masa dough and rub it between your hands to shape it into a ball the size of a plum, or a slightly large golf ball.
- Make about 16 to 18 balls from the dough.
- Roll Out the Dough to make tortilla shapes.
- Lay the tortilla down on the hot pan: Allow the tortilla to rest half on your hand, and half hanging down, and gently lay the tortilla down onto the skillet.
- While the tortilla cooks start working on pressing the next tortilla.
- Cook the tortilla on one side, then flip.
- Cook the tortilla on the hot pan for 30 seconds to a minute on each side.
- The tortilla should be lightly toasted and little air pockets will form.
AS SEEN ON