Theo & Co Pizzeria - The Smoked Rib Pizza
Title: Theo & Co Pizzeria
Broadcast: June 25th 2017
Presenter: Theo Kalogeracos
Today we speak with Theo from Theo & Co Pizzaria the pizza chef and the owner. This is a true pizzeria, starting from margarita to greek lamb and ending with desert pizza.
- Theo & Co started in 1996 so they’ve been going for a while now. When Theo’s first started they had a few other things on the menu but Theo saw that where his real passion lied was in pizza, so everything else was dropped from the menu.
- The pizza menu is now huge: from vegetarian, to meat, to seafood, they do a chocolate pizza –which has won awards- but remember you’re not going to get biscuits or cakes, you’re going to get desert pizza!
- Today Theo makes us a smoked rib pizza with beef short ribs, slow cooked for 4 hours with a dry rub, when it comes out the beef is pulled it apart, smoked with Theo’s own in-house made barbeque sauce. Really simple but maximum flavour, a real punch in the head.
- The base is a 24-hour dough. On top of that rub some fresh garlic and then some local stretch curd mozzarella around with the beef on top. You want the beef to go on top because you want it to burn a little bit (caramelise).
- The smoked rib pizza is one of Theo’s favourites. It takes what tradition is: a margharita, three ingredients, and maximum flavour out of them. It may sound simple but it’s not. It’s really hard to back a really good margharita.
- By slow cooking the meat, soaking it in a sauce and then just giving it a kiss of a secret ingredient, which just gives that extra flavour that hits you at the back and you don’t really know it’s there.
- When the pizza comes out it goes under a dome to smoke it and then serve with the dome. As it comes out that smokes going to come out, grab a little bit of apple slaw and eat away.
- Because the ribs are really heavy in flavour the apple slaw, which is fresh and crunchy, and just breaks out that balance. You want that contrast, you want hot/cold, sweet/sour, crunchy/fresh, things like that really are important.
1kg beef short ribs
1 tbsp salt
1 tbspfresh garlic
1 tbspfresh onion
- Mix all spices together then rub the mix all over the short ribs
- Place on baking tray with rack, add 1 cup of water into tray, place ribs on wire, cover with alfoil and cook in oven for 2 hours at 185c
- Take out of the oven, take the beef out of the baking dish and place on flat tray, using 2 forks pull apart till it is all nice a pulled.
1 tbspbalsamic vinegar
- Whisk together then add to shredded beef and let it soak into the meat about 30 minutes.
1 apple shredded
1 carrot shredded
1 small cabbage shredded
1 cup whole egg mayo
Juice of 1 lemon
Pinch salt & pepper
- Mix all together
To make pizza:
- 1 x 25cm pizza dough stretched and ready to go
- Sprinkle 90gm of shredded mozzarella cheese
- Spread evenly 150gm of the marinated beef
- Bake at 255c in oven for 7 minutes
- Take out of oven cut up
- If you have a smoker, smoke for 30 to 40 seconds, if not it will still taste great
- Serve with apple slaw