Title: Farming Lupins.
Broadcast: Episode 11, 16th September 2018
Presenters: Theo Kalogeracos
Theo is out in Mullewa learning the Kitto families passion for farming Lupins.
- Sweet lupins are one of the healthiest foods in the world
- Western Australia grows over 85 % of the world’s supply of this versatile legume.
- The Kitto family has 5000 hectares of Lupin crops on their farm, run by 6th generation farmer Robert Kitto and his wife Tanya are so passionate about this product and have even built a lupin mill and processing plant on their property.
- Lupins are a legume and are significant for our sandy soils in Western Australia, where it fixes nitrogen to the root of the plant and it uses this nitrogen to benefit the plant to being darker in colour and attracting more sunlight, which puts so much of the goodness into the seed.
- The Kitto’s have created a fantastic gluten free flour that everybody is able to benefit from the health properties of it, as it is low in carbohydrates, high in fibre and protein and is a prebiotic which is great for our digestive system.
- Starting with 2 silos, the Kittos now have 6 silos and large shed with a mill.
- The aim of the family is to give lupin the credit it needs for human consumption. It is about helping other famers as well who are struggling to grow lupins, and bringing the price of lupins up so it is more of a food based product.
- The consumers get the health benefits of lupin and farms get the benefits of being able to incorporate them into their crop rotations.
- Tanya is online via her facebook page “My Provincial Kitchen”, where you can see and order their products and get hints and tips on recipes.
AS SEEN ON