Otago Farmers Market
Segment: Otago Farmers Market
Air Date: 8th February 2020
Presenter: Trevor Cochrane
Farmers markets are becoming more and more popular around the world as they offer the chance to directly meet the growers and ask them how they produce their food and what goes into it. Dunedin is home to one of the absolute best farmers markets.
- At the Otago Farmers Markets you’ll find the freshest and best of the region’s wonderful artisanal produce and meat. Interesting buskers and a friendly atmosphere make it a great place to spend your Saturday morning.
- Starting back in March 2003, these markets were a huge leap of faith on the part of the Otago Farmers Market Trust as well as the 57 vendors who came along that day. They absolutely surpassed expectations and they are now of measurable economic benefit to Dunedin, Otago and the surrounding regions, regularly attracting several thousands of customers.
- The produce on offer changes all the time, just like the seasons. It’s fun to browse what’s on offer and talk to the people who actually supply the produce every week.
- Michael Hastie for example tells us about how he got into producing different types of nut butters. He also encourages sustainability and recycling by offering a jar swap discount for the customers who bring back their empty containers.
- Sustainability is indeed a wide-spread concept at these markets as people are becoming more environmentally conscious. The markets are completely committed to reducing as much waste as possible, undertaking major steps to make sure that this happens.
- It really is the vendors and their wonderful products that make this such a fantastic event for the community to enjoy. For a lot of the customers coming here, their favourite vendors become friends as they have developed a trust relationship over time: a much more fun and personalised grocery experience than going to a supermarket!