Herb Highlight - Stevia
Title: Herb Highlight - Stevia
Broadcast: April 6, 2019
Presenter: Bonnie-Marie Hibbs
These days sugar is found in just about everything we eat, there’s no avoiding it. The solution: a calorie free plant called Stevia that is fifteen times sweeter than sugar.
- Stevia is a fantastic natural alternative to sugar in sweeter dishes, tea or sweet drinks.
- Powdered Stevia leaves are approximately fifteen times sweeter than sugar and can be used in a whole range of foods.
- Stevia plants can grow up to one metre in height and width, however can be pruned back to stay at a desired shape.
- Pruning of Stevia plants should be commenced around early autumn or in the beginning of spring to ensure a healthy plant
- Stevia has petite flowers that bloom around the end of summer through to early autumn.
- This is prime time to harvest the leaves as the stevioside (what gives the plant its sweetness) is most abundant at this time.
- Stevia plants love the sun and thrive in a full day of sunlight.