What is Gotu Kola/ Pennywort? A Pharmacy in One Herb
Segment: What is Gotu Kola/ Pennywort? A Pharmacy in One Herb
Episode: Spring 2019, Ep02
Presenter: Dr. Shy Vishnumohan
TX Date: 14th September 2019
If you’re looking for a herb that might help to improve your memory, Gotu Kola may just be the herb for you.
- This herb can be found in the southern parts of India, where it is known as Vallaarai Keerai, though it is also known as Gotu Kola or Asian Pennywort.
- Used as a traditional medicine, Western research has shown that it may positively affect people’s ability to think and process information.
- The plant inhibits a group of enzymes that are able to break down collagen while increasing the rate at which collagen is synthesised, giving it the ability to help heal wounds. This is also why it is used as a skin tightener.
- Gotu Kola tastes fantastic, and can be used in a stir-fry, salads and smoothies.
- This herb can be grown either in pots, or you can use it to cover the ground.